finding out what's taking space in .bss

Hi all,
I'm just sticking my nose into eCOS and I would like to build a very
minimal version of it. In particular, I have very hard memory
constraints and would like the eCOS kernel to use as little as a
couple of KB. Of course I don't plan to do advanced debugging. I just
want the bare essentials to run an RT application.

I've added code for a new ARM platform and built it.

At the moment, the arm-elf-size command reports 14224 bytes in the
.bss section, which is way too much. Using the arm-elf-nm command, I
can't seem to find out which symbols consume space in the bss section.
The biggest one is called cygmem_pool_heap1, takes about 1KB and I
can't find it in the code. I'm sure I won't get 14224 bytes even if I
add up all symbol sizes in the BSS section that are reported by nm.
How reliable is this command?

I'm looking for advice on how to reduce RAM requirements, which
packages usually take space, how to find out where objects that take
space are located.

Also, I'm not very familiar with the linker scripts, and I'd be glad
if you could recommend some reading.

Many thanks for your attention,
Greg.