Re: Synth environment malloc seg faults under Fedora Linux

    Dan> Hi Bart,
    Dan> Thanks for the suggestions. I went ahead and built a synth
    Dan> executable under the older RH9 system using the older
    Dan> toolchain. I used the same eCos code base I've been working
    Dan> with under Fedora. I then copied the resulting executable to
    Dan> my Fedora box and sure enough: it worked! Good call!

    Dan> So it appears that the new GNU toolchain is causing me some
    Dan> strange problems with the synth environment build. Just FYI,
    Dan> my gcc versions are:

    Dan> RH9, works:
    Dan>  gcc (GCC) 3.2.2 20030222 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.2-5)

    Dan> Fedora, doesn't:
    Dan>  gcc (GCC) 3.3.2 20031022 (Red Hat Linux 3.3.2-1)

    Dan> I suppose the "quick" solution for me is to install the gcc
    Dan> 3.2.2 compiler on my Fedora box and use that for synth
    Dan> builds. This should be fine for my purposes.

That is what I would recommend for now. Note that the compiler is the
most likely culprit, but it could also be the linker or some other
binutils utility.

    Dan> Is there someone in particular who deals with the compiler
    Dan> version migration issues? Can I provide any more information
    Dan> about this or help out in some way?

This is not the first time there have been problems. The issue is that
the native gcc is intended to produce ordinary Linux applications
linked with glibc. Hence the toolchain makes certain assumptions about
the run-time environment which do not hold for the synthetic target.
The Linux kernel tends to suffer similar problems.

Of course it could also be a more generic problem with eCos vs. gcc
3.3.2, but I have not seen any other problem reports.

There is no easy way to track down and fix these problems. I do have
plans to upgrade one of my machines to Fedora, but don't know exactly
when yet. If nobody else has fixed things by then I'll investigate
further.

Bart

--
Bart Veer                       eCos Configuration Architect