Re: Buggy ioctl (SIOCSIFADDR) with BSD TCP/IP stack

sebastien Couret <sebastien.couret@elios-informatique.fr> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I was playing around with the BSD TCP/IP stack port on eCOS.
> I came to the conclusion, that trying to change an already set IP address
> with ioctl (SIOCSIFADDR) failed. (While setting it for the first time works
> ...)

[snip]

> So my proposed correction is to comment the previous code which is kind of
> redundant..
>
> What do you think of it ? Am I wrong ?

Without going into any detail about this particular issue, I would
suggest you be very cautions about changing any of this code. It has
been running successfully for something in the region of 20
years. Most likely the code behaves the way it does for a
reason. Making aparrently innocuous changes to make it work the way
you want is likely to break something else. It is possible that you
are misunderstanding or misusing the ioctls in some way.

However, if there really is a bug here, it may have already been fixed
in later versions of FreeBSD. So compare this code with the latest
release from freebsd.org. If they have fixed a bug in this area since
we took our snapshot, then we would be willing to upgrade our code to
fix it. We have done this in the past.