Installing Redboot/eCos on the Atmel EB40(A)

Hi All,

I'm new to both the eCos/Redboot community and the Arm community, so please bear with me and my noob questions. :)

I am trying to learn how to use the GNU toolchain to develop embedded software for the ARM target, because 1) I prefer open-source tools and 2) although buying an IDE (GNU or non-GNU) would be easier, it sure would be expensive! I have GNU tools experience with non-embedded *nix software and with the embedded Atmel AVR target.

Towards this end I am trying to install Redboot/Ecos on my Atmel EB40A board, and as I understand it the first thing I need to do is get Redboot into Flash according to these instructions:

http://ecos.sourceware.org/ecos/docs-latest/ref/at91.html

I can successfully build the Redboot RAM, ROM, and RAMROM images using the eCos graphical configtool, but when I follow the instructions at the above URL, this is what my session looks like:

[oberheim@localhost bin]$ pwd
/home/oberheim/ecos/ecos-work/redboot_RAM/redboot_RAM_install/bin
[oberheim@localhost bin]$ ls
redboot.bin redboot.elf redboot.img redboot.srec
[oberheim@localhost bin]$ arm-elf-gdb redboot.elf
GNU gdb 5.3 (eCosCentric)
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB. Type "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "--host=i686-pc-linux-gnu --target=arm-elf"...
(gdb) tar rdi s=/dev/ttyS0
Angel Debug Monitor (serial) 1.04 (Advanced RISC Machines SDT 2.5) for AT91EB40A (1.00)
Angel Debug Monitor rebuilt on Feb 03 2002 at 16:09:59
Serial Rate: 9600
Connected to ARM RDI target.
(gdb) set $cpsr=0xd3
(gdb) load
RDI_write: data abort, no memory at specified address?
RDI_write: data abort, no memory at specified address?
Memory access error while loading section .rom_vectors.
(gdb) doh
Undefined command: "doh". Try "help".
(gdb)

After a bit of googling I suspect that these RDI_write errors occur because the RAM image is being loaded into an address which does not physically exist. Is this correct? What can I do to get past this error?

My development box is an up-to-date RedHat 8.0 box, with the latest eCos distribution. Please let me know if any more information would be useful to help resolve my problem. Also let me know if this is the proper venue for this question, or if I should post somewhere else.

I'd really like to get started developing on this ARM platform and I'll appreciate any input you all can give me!

-Ian McKee