Re: Question regarding eCos license

On Sun, 2003-11-09 at 16:43, Suheel Hussain wrote:
> I am an embedded system consultant who evaluates OS for clients. Frequently
> I am asked to suggest real-time OS for client's project. In future I want to
> suggest eCos as an option to commercial OSs and Linux.
>
> I have few questions:
> 1.  Do I have to give eCos source code to the client? Same for RedBoot?
> 2.  Does client have to mention -- say in their product literature -- that
>      their product is built on eCos?
> 3.  If I tweak eCos to get better real-time response, etc. Am I required to
>      post this change on discussion list, etc.?

eCos is covered by a modified GPL license.  Most of your questions are
answered in http://ecos.sourceware.org/license-overview.html

In particular:
(1) - yes.  The client has as much right to the eCos sources, including
any changes you make to the eCos codebase, as you do.
(2) - no.  There is no "publicize" requirement.
(3) - yes.  If you make changes to the eCos sources, including additions
which end up in the "main" eCos tree, those changes are covered by the GPL
and must be published.  You would not have to actually send them to us, but
the effect is the same, they must be made public with no additional constraints
placed on them.

Note: the exception clause that we have in the license *does* allow you to
add code/value when using eCos and not make that code public.  In other words,
you can create an application which uses the eCos kernel, but the application
code itself is not automatically covered by the GPL.

--
Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
MLB Associates