Re: Samsung SNDS warning....bss not in segment

On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 08:53, Nick Garnett wrote:
> Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> writes:
>
> > On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 19:28, RandyLin@mxic.com.tw wrote:
> > > I got a warning when compile redboot for Samsung SNDS
> > > BFD:/redboot_snds_install/redboot.img:warning:allocated section '.bss' not
> > > in segment
> > > I didn't modify any code.
> > > what it means? how to fix it?
> >
> > It means that your image uses more memory than is available on
> > your platform.  Probably a very bad thing, as the best that you
> > could do is adjust your configuration somewhat (disable some
> > packages or features that you don't need, make buffers smaller, etc).
> > I say "bad thing" because even if you get it to fit, there probably
> > won't be much memory left for RedBoot to do anything useful on your
> > platform.
>
> While that may be true, I suspect that this is just an instance of a
> known bug in the toolchain. This is happening when objcopy is being
> used to generate redboot.img an ELF file with the debug info stripped
> out.  The message is not seen when linking to create redboot.elf or
> generating redboot.srec and redboot.bin from it.

Fair enough - I missed the fact that it was only for the .img file
(which is seldom, if ever, used anymore)  IIRC, the only reason we
used to make them was so we could publish "standard" ELF images for
RedBoot and this trick was used to make them smaller and easier for
folks to download.

In other words, as Nick said, this warning can be ignored.

--
Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
MLB Associates