jffs2 memory allocation

As has been stated earlier (see http://ecos.sourceware.org/ml/ecos-discuss/2003-10/msg00247.html),
the memory allocation routines used by the ecos port of jffs2 could be improved by using a fixed-
size block allocator instead of the current malloc()-based scheme. This could be achieved in two
different ways: A new set of allocator routines could be added to the jffs2 package, to either
replace or complement the existing functions. Or one could simply add a 'weak' attribute to the
existing functions, so the application could redefine them.

The first approach yields something that is easy to use, but there can only be limited control of
the allocation process (by means of configuration parameters). The second approach requires more
work to be done by the user, but also gives better control, which may be beneficial. For example,
I might want to use a separate heap for this purpose.

I feel a bit uncertain about which way to go, so I'd welcome any comments.

tk

Thomas Koeller, Software Development

Basler Vision Technologies
An der Strusbek 60-62