Re: Specifying the memory map for my platform

On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 11:27:29AM -0700, Adrian Caceres wrote:
> Some more rookie questions:  Thanks in advance
>
> a) Where is the memory configuration window?
>
> The reference manual mentions that one should use the memory
> configuration window
> in the configuration tool to create the appropiate mlt*.h and mlt*.ldi
> files.
>
> But I am unable to find this "memory configuration window" when I launch
> the configuration tool and I see no reference to it in the configuration
> tool section
> in the user guide.

The memory configuration window only exists on version 1 of the
tool. Version 1 is M$ only. Version 2 is a rewrite using a portable
toolkit so runs on Linux and M$. But not all the functionality of V1
made it into v2. The memory config tool was one of these.

You have two choices:

Use the V1 tools. Its around somewhere. Search the archive.
Edit the files by hand.

Most of us take the second choice.

> b) How do I define unencacheable memory areas for my  platform?
>
> The mlt*.h and mlt*.ldi seem to specify where the RAM and the ROM (ie.
> flash)
> of the platform are.   I see no reference to cacheable/unencacheable
> properties
> in these files so I assume ecos maps them as cacheable.
> Where/how do I specify unencacheable areas my platform uses?  Os is this
> mapping something that my hal_platform_routine() is supposed to do?

Its not part of the memory layout tool. Its normally done when you
setup the MMU. It varies from architecture to architecture. Some you
have to tell the MMU to make some pages as uncacheable. Others the
memory is mapped into the memory space twice, once cacheable and a
second uncachable. So you just access the correct bank. The MIPS does
this. See the macros in arch/current/include/hal_arch.h.

What processor/platform are you working on?

     Andrew