Re: IXDP425 vs. IXP420 based board

I have tried rebuilding the sources for redboot, this fails on both
development board and target board.the only binary that I got to work was
the redboot.bin from the ixp gateway project off SF.
I am pretty sure my tool chain is working as I have compiled and ran a
kernel and ramdisk image.
the main trouble I am having is that I am developing on a linux platform,
and the changes I made seems to result in conflict. as an example, I
removed the NET IO and eth drivers from redboot cdl and resulted in
libtarget not getting built because the code in net/net_io.c uses these
functions.the net code should not have been built.
my question is : is there a way to get redboot built outside of an ecos
environment, is there a way I could "steal" code from redboot and write a
bare minimal initiliazation code that will initialize uart0 and sdram
controller and write "hello world" to the code?
I assume that if i am getting a redboot prompt on the developemtn board
then the uart is initialized, could I still access the address space and
the registers directly or does redboot do any mmu initiliazation?
I am sorry if my questions are dumb, I am new to the xscale and ecos arch,
and i am not so familiar with code at this level.

By the way, if you are experienced with this stuff and you think you could
get it to work, drop me a line, we are looking to make a decision about
contraction this part of development.

Regards
Sleepy

Do you Unix?