Re: Recommended gcc version for 1.0?

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 09:14:18PM +0100, Bart Veer wrote:

> A full compiler build involves libgcc, libsupc++ & libstdc++
> which are either necessary for eCos developers or useful to a
> proportion of eCos users.

Yup.

> Then there is also newlib (libc and libm), libgloss, and
> libiberty which are not useful for eCos users. In the prebuilt
> toolchain tarballs we provide those have been removed

That's what I deduced. And, the answer to the next question is:

> (they still need to be built because the C++ library build
> process expects them).

Thanks, that's one of the things I was wondering about.

> Now you need to worry about multilibs.

[...]

> In theory each option like thumb interworking doubles the
> number of multilibs. In practise not all combinations are
> valid, so supporting more options does not quite lead to
> exponential growth in the number of multilibs, but it comes
> close.

Nasty.

> IIRC there is an arm-elf toolchain tarball on an Intel ftp site
> which is something like 50MB or 100MB, I don't remember
> exactly.

Sounds about right.  my /opt/ecos/gnutoos/arm-elf directory is
now 317MB, and a bz2 tarball is 75MB.  Removing all of the libc
and libm files only gets me down to 258MB.

The libstc++ files are the big ones at a total of 117MB.

> The eCosCentric tarball is 11.6MB, which is still a large
> download but much more reasonable. To get it down to that size
> we had to limit the number of multilibs to the 11 we felt most
> useful for typical eCos developers. Big-endian support had to
> go.

A reasonable decision.  Thanks for the explanation.  It would
be handy to have libs downloaded separately, but I suppose you
guys have to devote a few hours to making a living. ;)

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com