Re: PCI Ethernet card

Michael Anburaj wrote:

1. Can any Ethernet card available in the market be used with my board?

No, unless you plan on writing a driver for it if one doesn't already exist.

2. What specs should I look for when considering one?

You should look at which chips have driver support.

3. And about the config registers & all other registers viewable over PCI & their details for the particular card; will that be provided by the manufacturer?

In theory it should be; in practice some manufacturers will supply you with very inferior documentation. Fortunately, you can always look at Linux driver code to help figure out how a given chip works (if a Linux driver exists).

So, if there is an Ethernet card that eCOS supports, please let me know.

Check what drivers eCos has for your platform. My source repository
lists a single driver for the Atlas, the SAA9730 (which seems to be onboard). However, you should be able to adapt an existing driver to
work with your board with minimal to low effort. Take a look at the
Intel 82559 driver and how it is used for the i386/pc platform in
eCos. The chip itself is found on Intel EtherExpress Pro/100 cards,
and should be availible just about everywhere.

A cheaper card would be any RealTek 8139-based card, but I'm still
developing the driver for that chip, so unless you want to be on the
bleeding edge and help me debug the driver, I would pass this one by
for now.