Re: .previous -- directive

On Sun, Jul 06, 2003 at 01:25:49AM +0000, Michael Anburaj wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to understand the following 2 directives defined in assembly
> inline macros in hal_tables.h:
>
> 1.    ".type    " __xstring(CYG_LABEL_DEFN(_label)) ",object\n"
>
> I could find some documentation about ?.type?, but nothing explains the
> ",object" in it.

A symbol is either a `function' or an `object'.  This one is an object.
It's ELF specific.

http://sources.redhat.com/binutils/docs-2.12/as.info/Type.html#Type

> 2.    ".previous\n"
>
> I could not find it on any of the documents I have & also up on the
> Internet. Please point me the right documents for these directives.

Wasn't easy to find, but (Also ELF specific):

http://sources.redhat.com/binutils/docs-2.12/as.info/Previous.html

.previous

This is one of the ELF section stack manipulation directives. The others
are .section (see Section), .subsection (see SubSection), .pushsection
(see PushSection), and .popsection (see PopSection).

This directive swaps the current section (and subsection) with most
recently referenced section (and subsection) prior to this one. Multiple
.previous directives in a row will flip between two sections (and their
subsections).

In terms of the section stack, this directive swaps the current section
with the top section on the section stack.