Re: Evaluating eCOS for a MIPS R4000 based IPMI controller

On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 05:36:43PM +0200, Hoermann, Volker wrote:

> eCOS looks very interesting for me but i am asking myself
> whether it is to powerful for my 49 MHz core with 1MByte flash
> and 8 KByte internal and 512KByte external SRAM (no MMU).

Depending on what features you want, eCos can fit quite nicely
on a system like that.

If you go with the BSD network stack and want to do more than a
few simultaneous TCP/IP connections, you're going to be a
little bit tight on RAM: I try to budget 64K bytes of network
buffer space per concurrent TCP connection -- this is just a
rule of thumb I use for busy TCP/IP connections.  If the
connections aren't very busy, you don't need as much RAM.

Switching to the LWIP stack and limiting yourself to a few
"sparse" TCP connections should give you plenty of breathing
room in RAM.

> Maybe uC-OSII is better suited for this?

Don't know. Never used it.

> What do you believe? How big is the effort of porting an
> existing HAL to my hardware?

Sorry, I don't know anything about that architecture.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com