how to debug eCos apps using gdb over TCP?

Can someone explain how you can debug eCos apps using gdb over TCP?
I'm using serial without any problems but would like to debug on
another board without a serial interface.

>From what I can tell in eCos you can only use gdb over a non-blocking
getchar/putchar type interface and I don't see any of the HALs using
sockets for their implementations of HAL_STUB_PLATFORM_[PUT|GET]_CHAR.

I saw some email in the archives that suggested that this can only be
done using RedBoot.  I'm working on a port to a new architecture and
since I haven't ported RedBoot yet, could someone explain how this
works?

Thanks,

Kevin Hilman