Modifying the behavior of scanf, gets, etc

Hi,

I recently took over an eCos project for a PowerPC based board.  I am
using either scanf() or gets() to read input from the serial port.  What
I would like to do is prevent eCos from spitting back all input that it
sees when using these functions.  This is great when you are typing into
a terminal session (otherwise you couldn't see what you type), but it is
wreaking havoc on the Windows application which needs to interact with
the PowerPC application via formatted control/reply strings.

Eventually I would like the ability to toggle between two different
modes of operation.  One mode would allow for terminal access and the
other would allow for access via the Windows control application.  This
doesn't seem like it should be too hard to do, but after looking through
the functions used by gets and the other stdio input functions I
couldn't pinpoint what was causing the input to be sent back
automatically.

Does anyone have any ideas?  This has become somewhat of a roadblock for
me which is why I have sent out this e-mail.

Thanks for your help,
Jonathan