Re: Creating eCos flash application image for AT91 EB40a Redboot

Øyvind Harboe <oyvind.harboe@zylin.com> writes:

> >> How do I configure the ecos build environment to create images that
> >> can be written to flash using Redboot?
> >
> >Just normal default RAM startup will work actually. And then when you
> >store the images into flash with redboot, the FIS directory will
> include
> >the information like load address and start address.
>
> If I have understood correctly, then that isn't what I'm looking
> for. Our application is 2MB and we have 256KB of RAM. Our app
> is going to be larger than the total amount of RAM.

Then configure it as a ROM applications, but use a different .ldi file
to move its ROM and RAM addresses out of the way of RedBoot.

Note that in the AT91, because of the limited RAM available, the full
Flash file system is not supported. Only the fis write and fis erase
primitives are present.

However, there's a problem here in that if your executable is larger
than the available RAM, which you say it is, then the usual mechanism
of loading it into RAM and the writing it all to flash will not
work. You may have to write a RAM-resident flash loader that downloads
and writes chunks of data to flash.

Once you have it in flash you can then execute it with the go command.