Is Redboot suitable for my purposes?

Is Redboot/eCos is suitable for our purposes?

I suspect yes, but I'd appreciate a word of advice, if
I'm on the wrong track.

(I'm trying to get things up and running on EB40a, which
I will address in a seperate mail).

Background:

I'm in the process of putting together a development and deployment
solution for an Atmel processor. For this project we have chosen the
EB40a evaluation board.

It seems to me that Redboot is precisely what we need:

- bootloader which supports field upgrades (Redboot) via serial port and
x/y modem.
- tool chain
- runtime libraries
- startup code
- etc.

The needs for our application are very modest: serial port communication,
communication (memory mapped io) with our FPGA and interrupt handling
(timer/serial/from the FPGA).

>From what I have read it is possible to launch Redboot applications(i.e. no
eCos OS, or a very minimal configuration).

What should I expect the flash/ram usage overhead to be in such a scenario?

Øyvind Harboe