Re: ecos for ATLAS (MIPS 4Kc)

    Michael> I have got cygwin installed at c:\cygwin & mipsisa32-elf
    Michael> at c:\gnutools\

    Michael> Question1:
    Michael> When I ran mipsisa32-elf-gdb from the command prompt, it
    Michael> said cygwin1.dll is missing. Then I had to copy this from
    Michael> the c:\cygwin\bin to C:\gnutools\mipsisa32-elf\bin Is the
    Michael> gnutools package missing cygwin1.dll? Or is something
    Michael> wrong with my installation?

Which command prompt? There is an assumption that the cygwin bin
directory will be on your path and hence the dll can be found
automatically. This should happen automatically if you run cygwin
bash. If you use some other command shell then you'll need to update
your PATH.

    Michael> Question2:
    Michael> I opened ecos cfg_tool 2.11 & chose MIPS atlas 4Kc
    Michael> template & tried building the libraries, I got an error
    Michael> saying make was missing, Then I had to copy make.exe from
    Michael> my old mipsisa32-elf tools
    Michael> (C:\mips3264-020217\H-i686-pc-cygwin\bin to
    Michael> C:\gnutools\mipsisa32-elf\bin). Again Is the gnutools
    Michael> package missing make.exe? Or is something wrong with y my
    Michael> installation?

make should be provided by cygwin, which is a prerequisite for eCos
development. Please check http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/cygwin.html

    Michael> Question3:
    Michael> Now when I tried building the ecos library I get the
    Michael> following errors (I have just copied a portion error):

    <snip>
    Michael> /ecos-c/ecos/packages/hal/common/current/src/drv_api.c:55:
    Michael> /ecos-c/ecos/proj/atlas4kc/test_install/include/pkgconf/system.h:24:2:
    Michael> invalid preprocessing directive #define
    <snip>

I suspect you are running under W98. Recent versions of the cygwin dll
appear to cause problems for W98 users, with the various
cross-compilers failing in different ways. One possibility is to
revert to an earlier cygwin dll such as 1.3.18 (the version used to
build the toolchains), although that may cause problems with other
recent cygwin packages that depend on cygwin > 1.3.18. Another
possible workaround is to rebuild the cross-compiler
(http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/build-toolchain.html), adding
--with-gc=simple to the gcc configure line. No guarantees, but it is
believed that that will bypass the cygwin changes that causes the
failure.

Bart

--
Bart Veer                       eCos Configuration Architect