Re: Problem with simulator

    <snip>

    Cris> and I have read that v850-elf-run is a standalone simulator.
    Cris> Moreover here, but not only here,
    Cris> (http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/gnupro/GNUPro-Toolkit-98r2/7_embed/embV850.html)
    Cris> I can read that the simulator should be fully supported.
    Cris> I've also found a japanese page where the "target sim" was
    Cris> used with v850 for the Hello.c code; the only difference is
    Cris> that in that page the code loaded was 1500bits, while my
    Cris> code loads 380000 bits. Therefore I think that the problem
    Cris> could resides in the way the code is linked or compiled.

The simulator is likely to be a fully functional instruction set
simulator, because the GNUPro developers use simulators for much of
their testing and development work. It is unlikely to be a fully
functional architectural simulator, since that requires extra effort
which GNUPro does not need. It is possible to run certain programs in
an instruction set simulator - including the gcc testsuite - but eCos
requires an architectural simulator.

The SEGV you are seeing is probably at a point where eCos is trying to
access an interrupt control register, or the clock device, or UART
hardware, or something along those lines. An instruction set simulator
will not provide those.

Even if the default simulator does provide architectural support, that
may not match the particular eCos target you are using. The only
public eCos v850 target is the ceb_v850, so that is what you must have
used to configure eCos. You would need an architectural simulator that
provides full support for the memory map and the various peripherals
on a ceb_v850 board.

Bart

--
Bart Veer                       eCos Configuration Architect