Re: Questions about the eCos high level serial device driver

|---------+----------------------------------------------->
|         |                              Jonathan Larmour |
|         |                              <jifl at eCosCentric|
|         |                              .com>            |
|         |                                               |
|         |                              03/25/2003 05:51 |
|         |                              AM               |
|         |                                               |
|         |                                               |
|         |                                               |
|---------+----------------------------------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                                          |
  | To:   Michael Checky <Michael_Checky at Thermoking dot com>                                                                                     |
  | cc:   ecos-discuss at sources dot redhat dot com                                                                                                    |
  | Subject: Re: [ECOS] Questions about the eCos high level serial device driver                                                             |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

> Michael Checky wrote:
> > I'm in the process of writing a low-level serial device driver for a
custom
> > serial device, and I have some questions about the design of the eCos
high
> > level serial device driver.
> >
> > 1.  Why was 'serial_set_config' designed to call the low level 'set
config'
> > routine for unrecognized configuration keys, but not
'serial_get_config'?
> > The reason I ask is that our system has the ability to select different
> > serial line transceivers, (EIA-232, EIA-422, EIA-485, ...), so I would
like
> > to allow the user application to select these by using a custom key to
'
> > serial_set_config', but it appears that the user can't query the custom
key
> > using 'serial_get_config'.  I suppose I could use another custom key to
'
> > serial_set_config' to return the configuration, but that is just a
kludge.
> > Any suggestions and/or fixes to 'serial_set_config' ?
>
> Unfortunately it's pretty set in stone now, so we'll just have to deal
> with it and use set_config underneath for everything.

I've submitted a patch to 'cyg_serial_info_t' that should be able to handle
this.

Michael Checky