Re: multiple eth devices for RedBoot

On Wed, 2003-03-19 at 13:09, Mark Salter wrote:

> Here's a patch I've been playing around with which adds multiple
> ethernet device support to RedBoot. RedBoot doesn't support all
> of the devices simultaneouly, but it does allow for boot time
> selection among available devices. With flash, you can select
> the preferred net device through fconfig. Without flash, the
> preferred device is selected with CDL. If the preferred device
> is not found (or otherwise fails to initialize), the rest of
> the devices are tried in order until one is successfully
> initialized. The first one successfully initialized becomes the
> RedBoot net device.

I like it.  I hope that it doesn't introduce confusion though.
What if interface A is on subnet A' and interface B is on subnet
B' and RedBoot's default IP (assuming not using BOOTP) is on B'?

Maybe the automatic selection only makes sense if you are using
BOOTP, because in that mode there should be no subnet problems.

> What do other folks think about this? I really wish there was a
> way to eliminate CYGSEM_REDBOOT_NETWORKING_HAS_MULTIPLE_DEVS. I
> couldn't think of a better build-time way to determine that there
> are multiple devices configured into the system.

One way (which would be a little invasive, but might be nice for
other purposes as well) would be to add a CDL interface which is
implemented by hardware drivers.  Then your "MULTIPLE_DEVS" is
just "NUM_DEVS > 1"

--
|       Mind: Embedded Linux and eCos Development        |