simple ping test question.thanks

Hi all:
   I am building a ethernet device driver and I would like to do some simple
test on it(it is not fully tested). I want to setup the board so it can ack
the outside "ping" ICMP so I can ping the board from pc and get the ack on
PC, so which test program in the /net/ I can use for this purpose? When the
freebsd stack is included and after calling "
init_all_network_interfaces();" and start the scheduler is the ICMP function
included already? if so does it means I can just init the network interface
and start the scheduler? am I wrong anywhere thanks a lot.