Re: [Redboot] rebuild/compile problem

Hurmen at gmx dot net wrote:
Hello,

I'm trying to rebuild RedBoot for the lubbock platform. But I receive the
following error when I compile the sources:

Firstly, the Intel lubbock port is nothing to do with the eCos project. Nevertheless...

xscale-elf-gcc -Wl,--gc-sections -Wl,-static -g -O2 -nostdlib
-L/tmp/RedBoot-Intel/src/install/lib -Ttarget.ld -o
/tmp/RedBoot-Intel/src/install/bin/redboot.elf main.o
/tmp/RedBoot-Intel/src/install/lib/extras.o: In function `load_elf_image':
/tmp/RedBoot-Intel/src/packages/redboot/current/src/load.c:64: undefined
reference to `puts'
[snip]
I found a possible solution in this thread
(http://sources.redhat.com/ml/ecos-discuss/2001-04/msg00225.html) but this is just a workaround. They're
speaking of a patch that might fix the problem. Since the thread is dated April
2001 I was wondering if there's a patch or other solution that fixes this
problem (I couldn't find one).

Use the -fno-builtin workaround. It's "better" than the one mentioned by Lewin in that thread.

As for the fix... it *has* been fixed in the current sources, but Intel's RedBoot port is old and subject to bitrot and so doesn't get the benefit.