Atmel at91 EB40A timers in ecos

I successfully generated ecos and ran the "hello
world" program.  When I ran the twothreads program I
had problems.  The first is that it did not work at
all and generated an exception on the first printf.  I
changed the function name from cyg_user_start to main
and I got one line of output from each thread.  I have
an EPI emulator so I dumped the timer registers and
got the following: (note that some registers are write
only)
fffe0000: 00000000 00004002 00000000
fffe000c: 00000000 0000a122 00000000
fffe0018: 0000a122 0000a122 00000000
fffe0024: 00000000 00000000 00000010
fffe0030: 00000000 00000000 00000000
The status register fffe0020 shows that the clock is
disabled (bit 16 should be 1) and the counter fffe0010
does not appear to be counting.  When I checked the
file at91_misc.c it uses the clock in "capture" mode.
When I checked the atmel file chrono.c the clock is
initialized in "waveform" mode.  The include file
plf_io.h has the following:
// Capture mode definitions
<a lot of #define statements>
// Waveform mode definitions [missing]

My question is which mode should the timer be operated
in?  The atmel file has a lot more initialization code
than the ecos file.
Joe Rodnite