problem getting gdb talking to Cirrus Logic 7312 dev board

Got the following from gdb:

(gdb) target remote COM1
Remote debugging using COM1
Ignoring packet error, continuing...
Ignoring packet error, continuing...
Ignoring packet error, continuing...
Couldn't establish connection to remote target
Malformed response to offset query, timeout

I am following the instructions from 'Getting started
with ecos' which has instructions for Cirrus Logic 7212.
I built the gdb_module.img and downloaded onto the
board though I did get a conflict which I chose
"continue" with all proposed solutions (bad idea?)

Then, I tried to download the redboot_ROMRAM.bin that came
with the package onto the board and it came up and crashed
shortly (complained about eth interface at startup which
mac address not set, probably not ecos problem). Also tried
the redboot_RAM version and got the same error as above.

Which way should I go? Is gdb_module all I need or do I need
redboot? Eventually I will need to debug my own hardware
instead of CirrusLogic dev board (but the same processor),
do I need redboot at that time?

I have ecos of 10-28-2002 snapshot from ecoscentric,
gdb 5.2.1, download.exe is provided by Cirrus Logic
as part of 7312 dev. kit/board. Currently all things
running from Windows.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Yin