redboot as debugger / bootstrap for RTLINUX ?

Hi,

This might be a little bit off-topic. I'll ask it anyway.

My experiences for (serial) debugging and booting embedded (powerpc,
eCos) applications using redboot have been nothing but positive so far.

We are currently working on a project that uses RTAI/RTLINUX as real
time kernels on PC-based hardware. However, (kernel level)debugging is
hard.

Since eCos/Redboot have been ported to PC motherboards, I wondered if
redboot could not be used as a bootstrap for RTAI or RTLinux
applications which could then in turn be debugged over a serial line
like any other embedded application. Anybody ever tried this? Any
reasons why such an approach would probably not work ?

Thanks,

Bob
ir. Bob Koninckx
Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
Division Production Engineering,                   tel.  +32 16 322535
Machine Design and Automation                      fax.  +32 16 322987
Celestijnenlaan 300B                  bob.koninckx@mech.kuleuven.ac.be
B-3001 Leuven Belgium               http://www.mech.kuleuven.ac.be/pma