Re: how to build an eCos library for ARM7tdmi simulator

Tim Drury <tdrury@siliconmotorsports.com> writes:

> Gary Thomas wrote:
> > Did you follow the instructions?  Try looking at the FAQ:
> >   http://sources.redhat.com/fom-serv/sid/cache/6.html
> > This should work (it does for me).
>
> Yes, I tried this.  I invoke sid using:
>
> /usr/local/sid/bin/arm-elf-sid --gdb=2000 -EL
>
> then in another window I run my hello world app:
>
> arm-elf-gdb a.out
>
> which brings up insight.  I connect to remote/tcp (localhost:2000)
> and hit run.  I get:

> in the gdb console, but no source appears in the main window and
> no "hello world" appears anywhere.

You need to build a PID ROM startup configuration.

However, my experience of trying SID a few months ago is that it no
longer works for eCos. The ARM HAL in version 2.0 of eCos uses
instructions that the ARM emulator in SID does not support
(specifically, the load-multiple-and-restore-PSR instructions). Any
pre-2.0 HAL will still work since it does not use those instructions.

My investigations into trying to update SID to emulate these
instructions foundered on the mysteries of cgen and how to convert
its output files to be useful to SID.

Maybe I'll take another look at it.

--
Nick Garnett - eCos Kernel Architect