Re: Question about ecos server performance

On Tue, 2002-08-13 at 02:55, NavEcos wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 August 2002 00:41, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 01:54:38PM -0700, NavEcos wrote:
> > > I have a customer that is interested in running eCos as an embedded
> > > server.  He asked me how well eCos would handle up to1000
> > > simultaneous IP (both TCP and UDP) connections and I couldn't
> > > answer his question.
> > >
> > > Does anybody have similar experience?  For example a webserver or
> > > a file server being under high stress with eCos at the core?
> >
> > To me eCos seems a strange choice. Something that can support 1000
> > connections, is probably going to have a lot of memory and a fast
> > processor. A linux based system sounds more appropriate. I would talk
> > to your customer and find out more about the application.
>
> They are building it around an XScale.  I know it sounds strange to
> have so many connections, but it makes sense for what he's doing.
> The other option is embedded Linux which I'm researching.
>
> > The stacks are unix stacks, so should handle these number of
> > connections. You will have to fiddle with the configuration a bit. Few
> > embedded system need more than 32 sockets etc and each on takes
> > memory. The default configuration will not support 1000. Select only
> > supports 256 sockets, but that is a compile time option. The total
> > number of file descriptors will also need expanding, but that again is
> > a configuration option. I expect there are others which you won't find
> > till you try it.
>
> I'll check the configtool for the options.  He may want to use another
> TCP/IP stack (proprietary) too.  I am just talking to him at this point.
>
> > With some work, it should run. We run our devices at high CPU load
> > without a problem, so that should also not be a problem either.
>
> Really?
>
> I have run into a problem when running a server on eCos.  I make
> an application that does nothing but spit out data as fast as it can
> and the box crashes.  My target is i386, the tip of tree, both net
> stacks, using configtool 1.3 and 2.11.
>
> If can send you my code, would you mind checking to see what
> happens on your side?  I can send you my .cfg file as well.   The
> stack is being corrupted in the server task.

This sounds like an application error.  However, it would be
sensible to give it a look-see, if it can be boiled down to
a reasonable size.  We (me personally) are always interested
in making sure that eCos is rock-solid.

If it's more than a few Kb, don't send it to the list though.
That's just overhead that most won't want to see.  The best
way would be to file a BugZilla bug and send it as an attachment.
See http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla

Gary Thomas                  |
eCosCentric, Ltd.            |
+1 (970) 229-1963            |  eCos & RedBoot experts
gthomas@ecoscentric.com      |
http://www.ecoscentric.com/  |