Re: simple eCos profiler

On Wednesday 31 July 2002 01:05, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> Hi Rich.
>
> This looks similar to the one i wrote a few years ago for eCos. Its
> sitting in the ecos-discuss archive somewhere. That was for the
> EBSA285, but could be easily ported to other targets. I find a
> profiler useful at times, so it would be good to get something
> incorporated.

I just want to get something basic, perhaps later on a more polished
tool can be made.

> > I would like to get at least hooks for this into the main tree.  It
> > will not slow down eCos, it will be conditionally compilable.  I
> > can do the CDL if requested.  How do I get it into CVS?
>
> Post the patch to ecos-patches. We the community can then take a look
> at it and decide what needs doing to make it incorperatable, eg cdl,
> making it more generic etc.

There is a significant amount of code, most of it is not kernel code.
Is it OK if I post a link to a webpage?  I just have to set one up :D

> > -Rich
> >
> > P.S.  hal_ctrlc_check gets called a LOT and seems to get called
> > more, the more pings I send it.  I haven't debugged this to find out
> > why, but it's perplexing.  Anybody know what is going on with it?
>
> This function acts as the interface between the application network
> stack and redboot. Each packet received by the application is passed
> down to redboot to let it decide if the packet is actually for the
> redboot stack, not the application stack.

Oh.  That name seem sort of obsfucated, but I get it.

I will have to look at this more.  I have found that it can take up
significant time (like 33% of the active time) if I send enough
network traffic through it.

I have a question.  When redboot "runs", can the application on
top of redboot interrupt it?  I haven't investigated the relationship
between the two very much.

>         Andrew

Thank you,
-Rich