Prototyping with the synthetic target.

I'd like to do some application prototyping and simulation
work using the synthetic target and would appreciate
any pointers from those who have gone through this
before.

First task is to be able to pass messages between an
ecos application running inside the synthetic target and
a second linux process on the same machine.  Local
sockets would be ideal; but it's not clear whether the
network stack works on the synthetic target.  Named
pipes are also a possibility. Has anyone used them?
Do they exist in the synthetic target?  Any suggestions
would be appreciated.

Secondly, could anyone point me towards further
info on the synthetic target?  I've been looking through
the hal/synth tree and can't quite work out the relationship
between the ecos system calls and the linux calls.  Some calls
obviously need to be handled by the ecos kernel.  But,
do others, like fileio end up going straight through to the
linux kernel????  Again, any pointers would help.

Thanks,
Chuck McParland,
Computer Scientist, LBNL