Question about building the GNU tool set?

Hi all:
    Could any one give me something about how the configuration works while
we are trying to configure the gcc, g++ tools for other processor?  If for a
new processor how can I configure the tool set for it?  As I know while we
configure for ARM  we use:

mkdir -p /tmp/build/binutils
    cd /tmp/build/binutils
    /src/binutils/binutils-2.10.1/configure --target=arm-elf \
      --prefix=/tools \
      --exec-prefix=/tools/H-i686-pc-cygwin \
      -v 2>&1 | tee configure.out

for the binary utilities.As seem "--target=arm-elf", how can we know which
target is supported in GNU(for configuring the new toolset)? If I want to
configure the tools set for a new processor what work should I do achieve
that(any file I need to make or...?)? (Is that means a toolset port to the
new processor? if so what target can we used if I want to use the GNU
toolset?) Maybe I went some way wrong so sorry about that.

Thanks a lot!

james