Re: AT91EB40 and RedBoot

On Fri, 2002-06-07 at 18:15, Scott Dattalo wrote:

> The short question:
>
> I can establish a communication link to my Atmel AT91EB40 evaluation board
> with gdb (Insight). However, after I download the redboot_RAM.elf, I'm
> unable to obtain a redboot prompt with minicom. The question is, well, why
> not? Specifically (see below), how does one "interrupt 'Angel' with a
> ^Z" after the RedBoot binary has been downloaded?
>
> ---
> Details:
>
> I've grabbed the latest versions of the GNU tool chain:
>
> $ arm-elf-gdb --version
> GNU gdb 5.2
> $ arm-elf-gcc --version
> arm-elf-gcc (GCC) 3.1
>

> I've built gdb with the Insight gui.
>
> I grabbed the latest eb40 redboot monitor from:
> http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/boards/redbootbins/at91eb40/
>
> I followed the RedBoot EB40 install instructions desicribed here:
> http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/docs-latest/redboot/at91.html
>
> I've also scoured the archives and sympathize with Lin Ming...
>
> The part that I believe tripping me is this statement in the install
> instructions:
>
> "Once this is started, the Angel session must be interrupted (on Linux
> this can be done using ^Z)."
>
> How does one issue a "^Z" (control Z) to interrupt Angel? Is this done
> from with in gdb? Is it done from with the minicom session?
>
> Any help is of course deeply appreciated.

You don't run minicom at this point, but rather GDB.  Use the command
line form (-nw), not Insight.  Once you start up GDB, you'll be talking
(via GDB) to the Angel on the board.  Download the RedBoot image and
start it.  Then simply type ^Z - this will send the GDB session into
the background and you can then connect via minicom.  Once you do
that, you'll be able to talk to RedBoot via its command line interface.