Re: thread name

"Wade Jensen" <waj4news@cox.net> writes:

> Hello,
>
> There is a thread name buffer in pthread_info, but there doesn't seem to be
> a good way to access the name.  I am considering adding some type of
> pthread_setname() and pthread_getname() functions to do this.
>
> Is there currently a way to do this that I am missing?
>
> If not, is there a standard pthread function that I should implement rather
> than making my own?

The thread names are really only present for debugging. Some versions
of GDB can fetch this information and display it when doing an "info
threads" command. They are not used for anything else.

POSIX has no concept of thread names. I don't really see any need to
add anything to support it. It would only make any code that used it
non-portable.

But if you really need the names, feel free to go ahead.

--
Nick Garnett - eCos Kernel Architect