building arm-elf or arm-elf-mthumb development tools?

Hi all,

I want to build cross compiler in linux for 7312 or 7212, I found in the
7312 document that this processor has thumb code support enabled, does that
mean I should build the toolset for arm in Thumb mode instead of for arm?

And what is difference between the development tools for arm and arm in
Thumb mode? Does the most lastest gcc support arm in Thumb mode?

Thanks,

Yongming