Re: ethernet performance <TCPIP guru question>

On Thursday, 25. April 2002 14:56, Gary Thomas wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-04-25 at 01:45, Roland Caßebohm wrote:
> > Which platform did you use? I have done the same with eCos on a Celeron
> > 400 MHz with 82559 ethernet card and have the same performance.
> > But on an ARM7TDMI 50 MHz board (SNDS 100) with also 100 MBit I get only
> > 600 kByte/s. Is this because of the slower processor or does is there
> > problem?
>
> This particular test was between two similar P-II/400 MHz PC systems,
> using 82557 PCI ethernet controllers on both systems, on an isolated
> 100Mb router/switch.
>
> > Maybe somebody have allthough experience ARM7TDMI and 100 MBit ethernet
> > and could tell me which max. data transfer rate he have?
>
> I don't have 100Mb on an ARM7, but on a 50MHz SA110 (pretty similar),
> using the same 82557 ethernet controller, I only got about 2MBytes/sec.
> Thus, yes, the processor speed has a lot to do with the performance.
> Also, the actual ethernet controller will have a large influence.  The
> 82557 does high speed DMA to get at the packets, etc.  Some others
> (notably the Crystal CS8900) are programmed I/O and *very* slow.

The ethernet controller (integrated in the Samsung S3C4510 (KS32C50100)) on
my board does DMA too. The LEDs of the PHY-chip indicates 100 MBit/s, but I
think something is wrong. Everytime when there is traffic on the net
the LEDs indicates collisions, also if I have connected the two machines
directly together.