Re: c++ ecos performance

On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 02:45:55PM -0500, Mike Moran wrote:

> > [I don't like C++ much as a language (in the abstract) as I
> > think it's too complex and too unsafe.  But, I must say that
> > the guys who wrote eCos used it well.]
>
> Yikes! "Too complex"? "too unsafe"? Excuse me for reacting to this
> flame bait, but this is pure bunk,

I don't like C++ from a language-design viewpoint.  I think
that trying to retain backwards compatibility with C was a huge
mistake. I think it's too complex and too unsafe. Both of those
statements are 100% true.

> and I get tired of this unjustified attitude. C++ provides many
> features as a means to solve various types of problems
> encountered in software engineering.

This isn't really the right forum, but I think C++ provides too
many features and provides them in ways that are too easy to
misunderstand and unintentionally misuse.  Something like
Modula-[23] or even Ada are, IMO, better designed languages if
you want a compiled, imperitive/procedural lanugage.  Scheme,
Smalltalk, and Python are some others that I think are well
designed.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com