Non linearly-mapped flash devices

Hello,

I am trying to get eCOs to support the flash parts on a board which only
supports flash access via a paged window in memory.

It seems from looking at the (current CVS) code that only linearly
mapped flash devices are supported, for example there is no 'flash_read'
function/define but rather RedBoot seems to use memcpy to read flash
(from my reading of redboot's flash.c at least).

Now, at first I thought it would simply be a matter of replacing those
memcpy's with a #define which degenerated to a memcpy in the linear case
or to a function which handles paging etc to do the copy. However, upon
closer investigation it seems as if the whole flash interface
(ecos/packages/io/flash/current/include/flash.h) uses the linear address
in memory inorder to refer to parts of flash, rather than an offset into
the flash itself, this is problematic in the paged case since a linear
address isn't a very useful concept. Obviously re-vamping the flash
interface is a lot of work...

So, what I was wondering was if there is any support for paged flash in
the pipeline, for example as a part of the upcoming jffs2 support in
eCos 2.0 (I don't think this is the case though), or if anyone has any
ideas how to easily implement this.

What I am trying to achieve is to have RedBoot as a boot monitor
(booting linux) on our board and be able to use RedBoot to update the
kernel/filesystem images in flash.

Cheers,
Ian.

--
Ian Campbell
Design Engineer

Arcom Control Systems Ltd,
Clifton Road,
Cambridge CB1 7EA
United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0)1223 403465
E-Mail: icampbell@arcom.co.uk
Web: http://www.arcomcontrols.com

The message in this transmission is sent in confidence for the attention of the addressee only and should not be disclosed to any other party. Unauthorised recipients are requested to preserve this confidentiality. Please advise the sender if the addressee is not resident at the receiving end.

This message has been checked for all viruses by MessageLabs Virus Control Centre.

Company registered in England No. 1608562.
Registered Office: Unit 8, Clifton Road, Cambridge, CB1 7EA, United Kingdom, Tel: 01223 411200.