Getting started with the i386 target and eCos.

Hello all,
   New to the list, first message, but I've been slogging through the
archives.  Good to see a fair amount of activity over here.  I have a couple
of questions towards the end of my post after the setup stuff.

Here's the host setup :
Cygwin 1.3.9  (latest version).
Binutils 2.11.2 (latest version).
gcc 3.0.3 (latest version).

I'm using the binary download of eCos 1.3.1 with the following changes :
updated graphical config tool for deprecated //c/ nonsense.
Redboot images are downloaded straight from RedHat.  I have the latest CVS
snapshot in a seperate directory, but I haven't messed with it yet.

The target is i386-elf and I've managed to get the precompiled redboot up
and working on my target and I can see it with a HyperTerm Session over the
serial.

When RedBoot comes up it says :
<BEGIN PASTE>
RedBoot(tm) bootstrap and debug environment - built 05:37:52, Jun  8 2001

Platform: PC (I386)
Copyright (C) 2000, 2001, Red Hat, Inc.

RAM: 0x00000000-0x000a0000, 0x0007c080-0x000a0000 available
<END PASTE>

I am having trouble downloading the test applications as compiled straight
out of the box (as in I say : Build|tests, Tools|Run Tests) with both the
graphical tool and Insight.  With insight it starts to download and craps
out.

I found a couple of references on the list to this problem with insight
being something to do with the GDB stubs being overwritten by the
application code.  This makes sense to me, but as I understand it the only
way to resolve this is to recompile RedBoot with modified stub parameters.

My questions are as follows :
1) Has anyone ever used the GUI config tool to run the tests against an i386
target using the default redboot image?  I get the feeling that almost
everyone on the list is using the command line tools.

2) Is there any way to recompile the RedBoot image with the proper settings
using the GUI config tool?  The HAL related options seem to be greyed out.

I'd like to know if I can solve these problems with the GUI.  Otherwise I
have to go down the rabbit-hole and debug the mess of errors I get when
trying to use ecosconfig on commandline (too late to start tonight).  I know
from similar experience that getting the command line stuff going can be
done and is often times a little smoother over-all, but its also a giant
up-front time sync on most projects.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

-Erik Reikes

PS  Does anyone know where there is a concise set of documentation for the
command line tools?  The stuff I'm finding in chapter 14 of the user-guides
is fairly sparse on actual working examples.  i.e. the examples they give do
not work with the default install  ;)