Re: JFFS2/big endian

Hi Jonathan,

>There are a few issues with the code as it stands, which are being worked
>on right now hopefully in time for eCos 2.0. There are bugs in readdir and
>the garbage collector at least, off the top of my head, but this is still
>being played with.

Thanks, Jonathan. It looks like I better wait a while.

>JFFS2 is host endian only. (This may well change at some point).

Would be nice, although I didn't really mean to ask for that :-)

It is possible to create a big-endian image on a little endian Linux box,
and that's enough for me right now to create an initial image for my ecos
target, that I can *read* (but not write).

I just tried to find out if the *ecos* JFFS2 filesystem code ever worked on
big-endian at all. (Because it looks it was only tested on little-endian.)

>Do you know you need to modify your flash driver to support unaligned
>writes?

Yes, I am aware of that. But the flash write routines were not even called
by the file write/unlink!

The call returned either with "success", if the file already existed, or
"no space" if the file did not exist. In both cases, the flash device
driver wasn't called.

I debugged into it, and at the problem always seems to be that no free
space is found on the device (I don't know exactly how the amount of free
space is determined).

Do you think I should try a mkfs.jffs2 on a big-endian linux box to create
my initial image?

All the best

Peter