eCos: ARM in THUMB mode

I wish to build eCos for ARM / THUMB. I found the patch posted by
Jonathan Larmour on 6-Sep. When I enable Thumb instructions in the eCos
Configuration Tool (V1.3.net 10-Oct-2001), it changes the "Global
command prefix to "thumb-elf". I gather that was for an older version of
gcc. I'm using gcc 3.0.2. Jonathan's same note states that

arm-elf-gcc -mthumb

is correct. However, the Config Tool adds "-mthumb-interwork" to the
Global compiler flags. I haven't found a description of the flags. Do I
need -mthumb-interwork? Do I also need -mthumb?

Here are my assumptions. Can someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Patch gcc's arm.h as specified by Jonathan.
Change Configuration Tool "Global command prefix" from "thumb-elf" to
"arm-elf"
Add "-mthumb" flag to compiler flags

Is there anything else I need to know?

Thank you.