Re: eth_recv out of MBUFs

From: "Jonathan Larmour" <jlarmour@redhat.com>
To: "Christoph Csebits" <christoph.csebits@frequentis.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2001 4:55 PM
Subject: Re: [ECOS] eth_recv out of MBUFs

> Christoph Csebits wrote:
> >
> > hi,
> >
> > i am working on a FCC driver for the MPC8260ADS.
> > (FCC driver is based on the Viper FEC driver)
> > cvs-version 02-Oct-2001
> >
> > i am getting "warning: eth_recv out of MBUFs" messages
> > after while running the tcp_echo - "test suite".
> > sending only 100 packets instead of 1024 works fine.
> >
> > What does this message mean, where should i
> > start in my driver code.
>
> It probably means the mbufs your driver uses for received data aren't
> getting freed after use. Perhaps it isn't getting read fast enough or you
> need to increase CYGPKG_NET_MEM_USAGE if you are hammering it really hard.
> It may not indicate a problem.
>
> Alternatively if the buffers stay allocated even after you've stopped
> hammering it, then that _would_ be a problem :-).

I have observed the same problems.  I have checked with 2 platforms
mips and x86 pc. In both cases over heavy load, the system always
run-out- MBUFs. A second problem that I see is that there is no
recover for that, I mean once you reach it, even if the other end
stop sending anything, the ecos never recovers it.

I did some tests, and I can only recreate this with TCP sockets.
With UDP sockets, I've got the same targets running over 24 hours.

Rosimildo.