Re: Kernel instrumentation question

On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 03:10:34PM -0500, Grant Edwards wrote:

> I configured my kernel to instrument clock, thread, alarm class
> events.  Should the timestamps in the buffer be in
> non-decreasing order?

Apparently not.  Further source code perusal reveals The
timestamps to be the number of hardware timer ticks since the
last 10ms system interrupt.

However, if you are instrumenting clock events, you see each of
the tick events, so you can construct a "real" timestamp for
the other events if you want. I've got a Python program that
post-processes the instrument buffer, so it can do that.  It
sure would be nice to be able to "print" a variable to a file
from the gdb prompt...

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com