EB40 Serial port #1 question.

I am going to use EB40's second serial port for my tty display purpose.
I have tried to use fopen("/dev/ser1","rw") to get a file pointer for my
tty.  Then I used fprintf to generate output to the serial device.
However, no display was shown in the terminal monitor.  The baud rate of
both sides I have set to 38400 N81.

Did I missed something?  Should the above method work in setting up the
the tty device for my display purpose?

Any alternative that I can do or configure if the above method not
working?

FW.