Re: Why is the parrot loader still present?

On Fri, 2001-09-14 at 17:02, wyeepeng@dso.org.sg wrote:
> Hi,
>    I was just wondering why is the WinCE parrot loader still there after a ROM
> version of the redboot is flashed into the Compaq iPAQ H3600 pda? Is there a
> particular reason for that? Is the redboot dependent on it to function? How? Or
> is it there becos it is a convenient way to restore the Wince OS? Has anyone
> tried removing the parrot loader totally and run simply on redboot?
>
> Regards
> Wong Yee Peng

While it is possible to run RedBoot on the iPAQ without the Parrot
loader, we feel that it is prudent to leave it in place as this should
prevent the unit from ever becoming totally unusable.  With the Compaq
(Parrot) loader left in, it should always be possible to restore a
unit either to WinCE or to RedBoot (if you make the appropriate CF RAM
backups).

RedBoot does not rely on any Parrot loader functionality, only the
safety that having it provides.