RE: Why 2 82559 drivers?

On Tue, 2001-09-11 at 07:23, Andre Asselin wrote:
> Actually, the PC target uses the source code from the intel directory and
> only supplies a header file to configure a few options.  But you're right
> that ebsa285 has yet another version of the 82559 driver source!

A lot of this is simply history and the fact that the eCos developers
are constantly running on a very fast treadmill :-)

We are working to make generic drivers as often as possible and the
82559 is a good example. However, time and contract pressures have often
won out and we've ended up with clones rather than pure reusable
drivers.  We hope to keep improving this process as time progresses.

Of course, if anyone out there wants to update an old system (like the
EBSA285) to use the newer driver model, we'd be more than glad to
accept the contribution :-)