Re: ethernet driver package idea

    Trenton> But this is only done on the USB interface then?

When an ethernet driver is likely to be the only one present on a
given target then it can just default to eth0 - in most circumstances
that will work just fine. For example, if the processor has a single
on-chip ethernet device then usually that will be the only ethernet
device in the target system.

The USB ethernet device is different, in that it has no way of
guessing whether or not another ethernet device is present. Hence it
has more complicated CDL which makes sure that the right thing
happens: if it provides the only ethernet interface in the system then
it will use eth0; if there is a real ethernet device then that can
stay as eth0 and the USB-ethernet will become eth1.

For something like a driver for a PCMCIA plugin card, much the same
applies. That driver has no way of knowing whether or not another
ethernet device is present on the target hardware, so it should adapt.

    Trenton> Doing it the way I did it wouldn't require an update of
    Trenton> the config tool though! Also, do you have the new tool
    Trenton> ready for download? I personally don't have the time at
    Trenton> the moment to install wxWindows, and then recompile the
    Trenton> tool. If anything goes wrong, it's wasted my employer's
    Trenton> money, and I don't want to do that.

    Trenton> Besides, yours seems to work with the Windows GUI config
    Trenton> tool 2.04. I can't be sure because I don't have two
    Trenton> ethernet interfaces to check it with. Is the conflict
    Trenton> resolution thing the only problem with it?

I do not know offhand whether 2.04 includes the required libcdl
changes, that is why I included the libcdl ChangeLog entry. If 2.04
was built before 2001-07-10 then it cannot have the required changes.
If it was built after 2001-07-10 then it almost certainly does have
the required changes. Take a look at Help->About to find out when the
configtool was built. The libcdl changes were specifically to cope
with targets that already have an ethernet interface and you are now
adding a second one such as USB-ethernet.

Bart