gdb and binary core files

Hi Folks

Im trying to do something along the lines of a core dump for eCos. I
just want something realy simple. In my setup its easy for me to get a
complete copy of the DRAM contents onto my host system. I then have to
get gdb to use this data. By default arm-elf-gdb does not seem to
support core files. Not a good start. Also, it does not seem possible
to specify the format of the core file. You can use "set gnutarget" to
set the BFD format, but that seems to apply to everything. I want gdb
to use elf for my executable, and binary for my core file.

Does anyone have any ideas or pointers?

        Thanks
                Andrew