Re: Can redboot be a bootloader instead of BIOS?

jwchang wrote:

>    Hello!
>        According to the redboot documents,it seems that the i386 main board can work without BIOS using redboot.but need some "addtion",I am quite confused by these words.I wonder it should be what addition,Shall we only "import the redboot_ROM.ecm to the ecosconfiged tree",can do this(boot up the system),Please tell me that and how about other hardware platform(such as the ARM 7serials etc).

In principle RedBoot is similar to a PC-BIOS and may replace it. But
think about all the hardware initialization stuff a PC-BIOS has to do
after power-up. Most mainboard chip-sets have hundreds of registers
which have to be initialized appropiately, this is no fun. Also you may
have problems to get the documentation of your chip-set(s).

i.A. Andreas Bürgel     GenoLogic GmbH
     Software Engineer  Joseph-von-Fraunhofer-Str. 13
                        D-44227 DORTMUND
                        Germany

     ab@genologic.de    phone  +49 (0) 231/477349-0
                        fax    +49 (0) 231/4761234