Can redboot be a bootloader instead of BIOS?

   Hello!
       According to the redboot documents,it seems that the i386 main board can work without BIOS using redboot.but need some "addtion",I am quite confused by these words.I wonder it should be what addition,Shall we only "import the redboot_ROM.ecm to the ecosconfiged tree",can do this(boot up the system),Please tell me that and how about other hardware platform(such as the ARM 7serials etc).
                                                              BEST REGARDS
                                                                                                jwchang
                                                                                                           2001.8.21