Re: config tools

    <snip>

    >> Hence the next time the user starts to edit the configuration
    >> the savefile is an accurate representation of the current
    >> state. There have been debates in the past about exactly which
    >> ecosconfig operations should and should not cause an updated
    >> ecos.ecc file to be written out, but no consensus.

    Dan> This seems to all make sense, assuming the contents of the
    Dan> .ecc have changed. However, my configurations are being
    Dan> generated by the gui tool, so they dont need to be modified
    Dan> or updated.

Probably the best solution would be for ecosconfig to write to a
temporary file and then diff the new and old versions of ecos.ecc,
only overwriting the old version when necessary. Or even better,
construct the new copy in memory first.

    >> So having a read-only ecos.ecc file is unexpected. However, I
    >> have just tried a little experiment doing a chmod -w on
    >> ecos.ecc in an existing build tree and it does not behave too
    >> badly:
    >>
    >> $ ecosconfig tree
    >> Unable to open file ecos.ecc
    >> couldn't open "ecos.ecc": permission denied
    >>
    >> ecosconfig exits before updating the build tree, and the error
    >> message is unclear that the problem is with write-access to the
    >> savefile so it should be improved, but I do not see the strange
    >> behaviour you have reported. If I try to run this in a new
    >> directory after copying across an existing ecos.ecc I get the
    >> same error.

    Dan> I should explain now that i'm using cygwin (i just noticed i
    Dan> hadn't mentioned that). I'm using --no-resolve; if i turn
    Dan> that off, i get a spew of messages such as the following:

    Dan> U CYGSEM_KERNEL_SCHED_TIMESLICE_ENABLE, new inferred value 1
    Dan> U CYGBLD_ISO_STDIO_FORMATTED_IO_HEADER, new inferred value
    Dan> <cyg/libc/stdio/stdio.h>
    Dan> U CYGBLD_ISO_STDIO_FILEACCESS_HEADER, new inferred value
    Dan> <cyg/libc/stdio/stdio.h>
    Dan> U CYGSEM_KERNEL_SCHED_ASR_GLOBAL, new inferred value 1

Some of these look familiar: there was a problem in the GUI configtool
in that it was failing to resolve some conflicts that ecosconfig could
resolve automatically. Hence the savefile generated by the GUI was not
conflict-free, and ecosconfig resolves the problems. The most recent
version of the config tool has a fix for this. Note that these
messages are not errors, they are just informative messages to tell
you about changes in the configuration. The --quiet option should
suppress that output.

However if this is really what is happening then I would expect the
updated ecos.ecc file to be different from the original.

Bart